Sunday, September 28, 2008

How I turned 20 minutes in $334

My wife received a telemarketing call from a company offering to provide our phone and internet service at a significantly lower rate than we were getting from our current company.  The offer sounded very compelling, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of switching companies.  So I called up my current company, explained to them that I was happy with their service and wanted to continue to work with them.  I also told them about the deal offered to me by the other firm.

The representative on the other line put me on hold for a few minutes while she looked over our billing history and was able to make some changes to our account that brought our monthly bill down.  She then offered me three months of free service and a $100 credit.  All of these savings put together will amount to $334 over the next year.

Not bad for twenty minutes work.  I am often surprised at just how much cable, internet, phone, and credit card companies will do for you if you call them to ask for a better rate or to waive certain charges.  The best part is, making the phone call costs only little bit of time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

RDS,

I tried that with my ISP a few months ago and they said they don't price match =(

My only other option is DSL from AT&T.

RDS said...

That's too bad that they wouldn't give you a discount, but good for you for giving it a shot.